by Shannon Shields
I haven't always loved Twitter. When I was first introduced to the platform I felt overwhelmed by the number of tweets flying my way.
Over time I came to understand how powerful Twitter is when it comes to online marketing and how beneficial it is to connect with people, businesses and organizations that I might not otherwise hear from.
Somewhere along the way, I discovered Twitter Lists. (Queue harp music and angels singing.)Twitter lists exist to help you sort out and easily find the tweets from specific people that you are the most interested in. There are many benefits to using Twitter Lists to improve your online marketing.
Create your own lists from your desktop with these 6 steps.
1. From your twitter home screen, click on your "Profile and Settings" image and select "Lists."
2. Select "Create new list.
3. Name your twitter list and add a description (optional) then choose to make your list either Public or Private. If you choose Public, the people you add to the list will be notified when you do so, so name the list appropriately. Choose Private if you would prefer to not notify others when they are added to the list. I speak from (slightly embarrassing) experience on this one. ;)
4. Once you complete step 3 you will be prompted to add people to the list. You can search them out at this time, or simply skip this step and add them as you go through your Twitter feed and deem them list worthy.
5. When you find the person you wish to add to a list, click on their "More user actions" icon and select "Add or remove from lists..."
6. Select the list you wish to add them to by simply clicking the box beside the name of the list. Keep in mind that you have the option to add people to several lists if they fit your criteria.
That's it! With lists you'll be well on your way to engaging on Twitter better than before. and up-ing your online marketing game.